Favorite Albums of 2013.
A Note on Methodology
My style of music discovery and consumption isn’t very critical. I keep an eye on NPR’s First Listen and Pitchfork’s Best New Music and listen to the albums. If I like the album, I add it to a yearly playlist on Spotify, which I listen to while I’m working. At the end of the year, I look back and cull the albums that I’m most fond of. This results, generally, in albums that stood out enough for me to see who it was while it was playing. Albums that are subtle in their quality or have a familiar sound tend to get lost in the process. It is what it is.
- Arcade Fire: Reflektor
- Willis Earl Beal: Nobody Knows.
- Jake Bugg – Shangri La
- Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
- Ivan & Alyosha: All the Times We Had
- Leagues: You Belong Here
- Poliça: Shulamith
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band: That’s It!
- Public Service Broadcasting: Inform – Educate – Entertain
- Josh Ritter: The Beast in Its Tracks
- The Shouting Matches: Grownass Man
- Typhoon: White Lighter
- Volcano Choir: Repave
On Spotify? Here’s the playlist. And here’s everything I’ve been listening to this year.
- Don’t make me choose! ↩