Bourbon Milk Punch.
Here’s a cocktail for the holidays. It tastes like a spiked eggnog, but without any eggs and a much easier preparation.
- 8 parts Milk
- 1 part Simple Syrup
- 3 parts Bourbon
- Dash of Vanilla Extract
- Freshly grated Nutmeg (garnish)
- Combine milk and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Add bourbon and vanilla extract.1
- Add ice and shake vigorously.
- Serve straight up in a cocktail glass topped with freshly grated nutmeg.2
- Adding the smaller quantity of acid to the larger quantity of base will help prevent curdling. The higher the fat content of the milk will also guard against curdling, but, with these quantities, it shouldn’t be a problem. I keep skim milk on hand and did tests of 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, and 1:4 ratios of bourbon to skim milk. The 1:1 didn’t even curdle. ↩
- The drink should settle into two layers, the foam rising to the top. If it doesn’t, shake longer and more vigorously. ↩